The Outdoor Learning for Life Programme : aims to offer students the opportunity to reconnect to the fun of the outdoors while they gain an appreciation of their classmates and an understanding of themselves.
The benefits of our programme are:
- Increased performance on standard exams, reduced discipline problems in the classroom, development of problem-solving skills, increased engagement in the classroom.
- The student may think critically and creatively; ask thought-provoking questions; understand connections and interrelationships; and transfer learning to other aspects of their lives (Lieberman and Hoody 1998).
- In a study, teachers replied that their students
- Gained self-confidence & conquered fears
- Learned to work as a team
- Community building was enhanced and new friendships were formed
- Students were challenged to try new things or think in new ways
- Technical skills were learned (e.g. hiking, rock climbing, interpretive skills)
- Environmental awareness was enhanced
- Leadership skills increased
What is the Outdoor Learning for Life Programme?
- Our Outdoor Learning for Life programme uses outdoor activities in a residential setting. These activities include, rock climbing, abseiling, canoeing, raft building, wilderness survival skills, camping etc.
The residential experience aids in achieving goals such as confidence building, self esteem, building new friendships, teambuilding and even back to basic skills like washing up.
- Birr OEC is a non profit organisation affiliated to the Department of Education and Skills, under the auspices of Laois and Offaly ETB.
- It is mandatory for all our staff to be fully qualified and certified by the relevant governing bodies, be Garda vetted and complete ongoing training courses.